Skip to main content

Which social media? and why?

I just came across an interesting link about using Twitter for teaching:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jessica-gross/embracing-the-twitter-cla_b_204463.html

Somehow I wanted to keep a record and also share this link with others. What social media do I choose and why?
  • Delicious is an obvious one for bookmarking, but this isn't a site that I particularly wish to share with others. Nothing really personal there, but still I like the idea of keeping one of my sites free of interactions.
Which leads me to another point: I already feel I have too many communication tools, with messages ariving to me via email (3 v. busy accounts), LinkedIn, and Facebook (which I don't use much). At the moment there's my Ning site too, for an online focus group.
  • I tweetted the link, because I am interested in finding what happens with Twitter. I just started yesterday, and it's really through using it that I'll get a sense of using it for teaching and for professional reasons. It's nice that David Travis from UserFocus is following me, right from the start!
  • But now, I am here in my blog, and I am getting a sense of why this link should also be there (so I have moved on from 'which media?' to 'several media simultaneously' with different purposes in mind. Here is my 'review' space where I can develop ideas a little.
My problem is a sense of a lack of audience. Fellow students on the Oxford Brookes course on social media in teaching may look at this, so the text above was written with them in mind. Mostly though, I feel self-conscious, as I don't have a drive to display my thoughts to the world. All my social media tools are with restricted access, which suggests I might be missing an important point - or perhaps more simply that I am just starting ;-)

All of this goes beyond identity. I know who I am in the relatively static pages of LinkedIn (a professional person), and in the discussion exchanges on Blackboard, Moodle and Ning (an e-tutor). What a blog does is make you think of your persona in relation to an audience that may one day be there - but possibly not.

It's a journey and I am just starting...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Visual Communication module

It's not a PhD related idea, but who knows, it might becomes useful... It is still about using social media in teaching. Another idea during my long train journey back home last night: to incorporate Flickr in the Visual Comm module. I'll set up a group in Flickr, upload some pics for students to annotate and analyse in a Flickr discussion; students could also/preferably upload similar images for the group. Would be good for 'semiotics' task. I would need to do a quick Jing demo, to show students what I have in mind. In turn, that Jing demo could be used as discussion point (video demos would certainly interest the tech comm students).

Wordle for content analysis?

Nice application of Wordle to liven up a potentially dry subject! The interface is interesting, and the application of Wordle would show interesting different different between the different US President addresses. An intro to content analysis perhaps... Could even see an application in my PhD as instant concordance... just to break up the heaps of text :-)

Virtual reflexive ethnography?

Recording thoughts about the first steps of a socia media journey is a bit like conducting a virtual reflexive ethnography. An ethnographer is always connected to the object of their research, which is why reflexivity is important. But let's not get all 'postmodern'... I am just thinking about Hine's book on Virtual Ethnography . In the ELSS course, we're asked to reflect on learning, with some of the learning also achieved 'by doing' (using SM) as well as by the traditional reading and online discussions. The course isn't about research, but having to maintain a blog reminds me strongly of my MEd project where I did something similar (but without public access). The 'field site' is the distributed environment (to use R&M's phrase) offering a rich social media ecology (Blogger, Flickr, Blackboard, Twitter and probably other platforms in future). Instead of going to a specific field site (eg Bb), I also followed field connections, eg links...